College Guidance Resources
- College Applications
- Timeline for College Admissions
- College Entrance Testing
- Career Exploration
- College Websites
- Letters of Recommendation
Please take note that for all college applications:
- UC has a filing period from November 1 until November 30th.
- CSU has a “priority filing period” of October 1 until November 30th.
- Private and out-of-state universities have different deadlines. Check the application carefully and apply on time.
- UC requires personal insight questions. Be sure to have someone else proof read your reponses.
Many private universities require a personal essay and letter of recommendation. Ask a teacher and/or counselor to write a recommendation. Give them at least two weeks notice to complete the letter. Complete a “Senior Questionnaire” to provide the writer more detailed information about you. The Senior Questionnaire is available in the Guidance Office.
Salesian College Preparatory CEEB code: 052-637
- University of California
- California State University
- California State University Mentor Program
- California Private/Independent Colleges
- California Community College Information
- College Community Transfer Agreements
- College Options in California
- Common Application
- Begin general research on colleges and universities
- Take PSAT in October
- First college visitation period. During spring break, visit local colleges or take a trip to tour campuses out of town. You can call in advance to schedule a tour.
- Sign up for SAT and/or ACT.
- Take first SAT Reasoning and/or ACT (with optional writing for UC)
- Attend “East Bay College Connection” College Fair
- Second college visitation period
- Request information from colleges for application
- Research scholarship opportunities on-line
- Prepare drafts for college essays/personal statements
- Third college visitation period
- Take SAT Reasoning, ACT (plus writing), and/or SAT Subject Tests
- Write college essay/personal insight question responses
- Begin UC Application www.universityofcalifornia.edu/apply (cannot send in until November)
- Out-of-State Colleges: Visit the college’s website and/or campuses for applications
- Complete the FAFSA on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov starting Oct. 1st
- CSU’s: Apply on-line at www.calstateapply.edu starting Oct. 1st; due Nov. 30th
- Visit college campuses on October school holiday
- Attend “College Application Workshop for Seniors” at Salesian
- Meet with college reps on campus (announced in Daily Bulletin)
- Begin Early Action Private school applications, most at www.commonapp.org
- Send in UC application on-line starting Nov. 1st; due Nov. 30th
- Attend “Financial Aid for College Night” in November
- Take the SAT Reasoning and/or ACT (plus writing), if necessary
- Colleges will send financial aid packages
- Make final decisions for college attendance. Most colleges will require a decision and deposit by May 1st
Click HERE for printable copy of this information
College Entrance Testing
- The Guidance Department recommends that students take a SAT or ACT test during the spring of their junior year and again in the fall of their senior year. Both tests are acceptable for college admissions.
- Register online at http://www.sat.org/register or http://www.actstudent.org/.
- The school code for Salesian College Preparatory is 052-637.
- Students who are considering applying to a UC are no longer required to take the SAT Subject Tests. Many UC’s will consider the tests “value added” to the application. Visit UC's admissions page to see a comprehensive list of the campus recommendations. If math is chosen, the student must take Math Level 2.
- Students should register early for tests as they will have a better chance of getting their first choice of test center (Salesian College Preparatory is not a test center).
- All testing should be completed no later December of senior year.
- Seniors: Check out “Important Dates” for registration deadlines and testing dates.
- Standardized Testing and Test Prep
Students complete a career interest and skills survey with their academic counselor during an individual meeting in the sophomore year. The surveys are saved in the student's Naviance account for future reference. Students can access their Naviance account from home to update their career and college ideas.
Letters of Recommendation
Senior Students: Please complete the Student "Brag" Sheet prior to asking your teacher or counselor for a Letter of Recommendation. If you have a specific form that must be completed, be sure to fill out the top portion entirely and sign your name if required. Your recommendation may not be completed in time if you do not fill out your portion of the form.